Tuesday, April 19, 2016

El Mercadillo

ONE OF MY FAVORITE THINGS.
Let me start by saying, I love to shop. I am not sure if you fully grasped my enthusiasm from that sentence, but I LOVE to shop. I will buy things I do not need all day everyday. However, another interesting fact about me is that I hate spending money. WHAT? How can both of those statements be true? Well, they are. This means that one of my strongest attributes is finding sales, clearance shelves and deals to get as much as possible for as little as possible. Its like a game to me(which is the best way to put it as I am am also super competitive).
Anyway, so what does all of this have to do with Spain? Well, in Alicante and many cities alike Saturday mornings host the Mercadillo. The Mercadillo is a large outside street market, similar to a flea market where you can find EVERYTHING. Literally, its all there. They have streets and streets of fresh fruit, vegetables, candy, snacks, socks, shoes, dresses, running clothes....you name it its there. As if that isn't exciting enough, the prices are unreal. It is so inexpensive I could cry. The last time my host mom and I decided to go to the Mercadillo was to buy oranges. We left with oranges, 4 scarves, 2 purses, one pair of leggings, 2 rugs, a full lunch, some vegetables, and finally, oranges. I have personally begun calling it the "Spanish target" as I have the same excited feel here as at Target, and also buy more things than necessary in both locations. It was one of the best experiences I have had here and have of course repeated the experience whenever possible.












The mercadillo is flooded with all kinds of people out shopping for whatever they may need. The vendors are shouting out their deals to pull you in and offering you discounts to convince you to buy. The atmosphere is so lively and exciting that I highly recommend at least one visit during your stay abroad. You will definitely leave with some goodies and a happy heart full of memories you will keep forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment